Wednesday, May 23, 2012

GSoC 2012 Intro

I'm working with MusicBrainz on another GSoC project this year! As you can see, this is the same blog as last year, so the older Picard posts are still visible.

I'll be coding a new tool for editors called the relationship editor (or rel editor for short). The rel editor will solve many inefficiencies WRT how editors currently relate recordings to works and add relationships to recordings and works on a release. It'll unify these actions under a single interface, so an editor can submit most or all liner note credits for a release in a single form. If this sounds awesome, it's because IT IS!

A good amount of work will center on making the interface intuitive enough to easily figure out, and simple enough so that working with it doesn't become a chore. I'm not a UI designer, so I'll be taking a lot of feedback into consideration. If you're curious, here's the mockup I created for my initial proposal. While the basic UI actions should remain the same, the final layout may have significant changes!

Because of this project's size, it was broken into smaller tasks. My first task (due on June 10) will allow "relat[ing] multiple recordings on a release to works (using the performance and medley relationships) under a single interface." If you're familiar with this browser script, then you're aware how much more efficient this is than navigating to every recording page and submitting each relationship separately.

That's all I have for now, so stay tuned for an update once my first task is nearing completion!

No comments:

Post a Comment