Monday, June 13, 2011

Misc. Fixes

With all of my reviews open for most of the week (and nowhere to push my changes to without a 0.15 branch), there's no exciting new features to report on today. But I still fixed a good amount of issues people were having:
  • Track times now sort numerically (previously it would sort 10:00 before 2:00). (code review)
  • A bunch of small fixes to clustering (check for duplicate clusters, allow clustering albums with no alphanumeric characters). (code review)
  • Updated Picard's release format list so that it matches the main server (meaning they should become translatable now). (code review)
  • Track lookups are now queued (albums will load simultaneously with track lookups, and won't be stuck on [loading album-information]). (code review)
  • Some compatibility fixes for the lastfm plugin. (commit)
  • Added Ctrl+I as a shortcut for Edit->Details. (commit)
The standardized metadata diff passed code review and was merged into lp:picard over the weekend, too. The feature has been getting more feedback, so if I make any revisions I'll mention them in the next post.

This week I plan on starting collections support (which might overlap into the next week) and try to bring back preferred release country support (which depends on whether or not a server issue gets fixed).

6 comments:

  1. Can preferred release country be aware that if I select "United Kingdom" as my preferred release country then I am more likely to want a "Europe" release than a "French" release, which I'm more likely to want than a "US" release or an "Australian" release?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also do you have anything to say about this issue?

    http://bugs.musicbrainz.org/ticket/5918

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross: the previous preferred release country option wasn't that smart, and only looked for exact country matches. I planned on doing it the same way. I suppose it would be possible to group countries by continent in that way. But not everyone might like that functionality, so it would have to be an option. And this would probably become a later improvement only after the "basic" support is added back.

    I saw the file browser issue, and I have nothing to say about it. ;) I will of course look into it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One important reason why I think that a user who picks United Kingdom as their preferred release country should also get Europe releases is that there are many Europe-wide releases now, however, people still add new releases to MusicBrainz under their own country, leading to lots of duplicate release entries - one for UK, one for France, one for Germany etc., where a single Europe entry would suffice and provide complete country coverage. I suspect part of this reason is that Picard is/was perpetuating this mentality and should really be recognising that Europe equals United Kingdom in many cases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the event that your preferred release country is unavailable does it just randomly pick a release? Could it at least default to "Worldwide" if such a release exists? That at least must be easy to implement even though there are probably few cases where there are "Worldwide" releases and other releases from other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your point about Europe (though I think a better solution would be for MusicBrainz to allow multiple countries on a release if they're completely identical versions). I think it's a good idea to at least add that fallback for European countries.

    I disagree with defaulting to Worldwide, because that would add a second "hidden" preferred country that is not configurable. [Worldwide] should also be reserved for digital media releases, and people might not want to tag against those, especially when it's not even the best match. (I'd always want to tag against physical formats.)

    If a preferred country is unavailable, Picard picks whatever release it would have had you no preferred country set (whatever the best match was). If multiple releases match equally well, then I'm not sure what the exact sort order is.

    ReplyDelete